The Kape Internships team are always on hand to answer any questions you may have about hiring interns but we ask all companies to comply to the HMRC guidelines and employment rights.
Based on our experience and by talking with many employers on a daily basis, we believe that offering remuneration to candidates will provide a valuable opportunity and in return the candidates will have increased commitment and motivation in the role. Paying the NMW is a legal obligation for all businesses operating in the UK.
You can find all the information you require on the HMRC official website. We strongly recommend that you read the Employment Rights for Interns and the Employment Status: Workers guides. The Worker Checklist by the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills, is also a great resource regarding payments.
Additionally, you can contact the HMRC directly by phone if you have any additional queries to clarify, here is their helpline number (Free): 0800 917 2368
The HMRC have also asked us to share this information with companies, please be aware:
If HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) find that you haven’t been paying the correct rate of pay, you’ll have to:
– Pay back any unpaid wages to your workers immediately;
– Pay a penalty of 200% of the wages owed;
– You may also be publically named by the government.
What you should do now:
– Visit GOV.UK to find out more about the National Minimum Wage for internships and work experience.
– If you find that you have been underpaying any of your workers you must pay them all the arrears due immediately and pay the correct rate going forward.
– You can contact the Acas helpline on 03000 123 1100 for free and confidential advice.
Don’t put yourself at risk of National Minimum Wage underpayment – check you pay all your workers the correct wages.
If you have any questions at all, do not hesitate to contact HMRC or Kape Internships.
The Kape Internships Team.